Artspace Aotearoa seeking Communications Assistant (Maternity Cover).
Artspace Aotearoa seeks to fill the position of Communications Assistant. This is a maternity cover with a leading contemporary art organisation.
About Artspace Aotearoa
Artspace Aotearoa is an independent and public contemporary art organisation in the centre of Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland. It receives major Creative New Zealand Toi Tōtara Haemata Investment funding. It works within a city, nation and world, supporting and promoting experimental and underrepresented local and international visual art practices. In the beginning of 2020 we relocated to the street-level of our Karangahape Road building, radically shifting our relationship with our direct communities.
We are proud of our 34-year-long commitment as an independent arts organisation dedicated to supporting artists to take risks, through a dynamic programme. Artspace Aotearoa advocates for the career advancement of both emerging and established art practitioners within the field of contemporary art in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Guided by a strong sense of kaitiakitanga; guardianship and responsibility for the organisation, shape both its programme and governance. It is our intention to care, support and inspire the arts, and its connected communities, through ways that strengthen and increase public engagement.
Artspace Aotearoa acknowledges firmly Te Tiriti o Waitangi as the founding document of Aotearoa New Zealand as we prioritise the analysis, development, and maintenance of practices that nurture the evolving relationship of the dual constitutional heritage of Te Tiriti. We also acknowledge that we still have a lot to learn and change and see this as a continuous journey we need to undertake.
About the role as Communications Assistant:
This one-year Maternity cover will provide the opportunity for you to support a busy independent public gallery on all aspects related to communications.
Artspace Aotearoa aims to actively contribute to the body of knowledge within the field of contemporary art. Each team member seeks to be active in this, by expanding their own personal awareness of current cultural and political discourse.
The year of maternity cover will include:
- An opportunity to work with Aotearoa New Zealand partners, including media, printing and publication partners.
- Opportunities to network with relevant channels that connect with, and professionally benefit your own career development.
- Direct involvement in all stages of the organisation's projects through the development of communication collateral.
We are excited to see our colleagues flourish as a direct result of their experience at Artspace Aotearoa.
As a Communication Assistant, you should be passionate about raising the profile of Artspace Aotearoa. You contribute to the quality of engagement with stakeholders and community. You are eager to learn, are able to put your sleeves up and thrive in a high-pressure environment.
- You value Manaakitanga first and foremost and at all times.
- You are passionate about and possess a broad knowledge of contemporary art.
- You will be able to drive the development of your own personal and professional development.
- You are adroit in writing.
- You have high professional confidence with experience in communication.
- Possess interpersonal skills which demonstrate an ability to engage professionally and effectively with others.
- You will have an awareness and invested interest and respect for Te Ao Māori.
- A strong commitment to promoting the bicultural and multicultural diversity of Aotearoa; You enjoy building connections with a diverse range of communities.
- Be knowledgeable of practices and protocols around Tikanga & Kawa (Hauora: physical, emotional, spiritual, cultural).
- As the ideal candidate, you will show initiative, able to multitask while being focussed and considered in a high-paced environment.
- Endeavour to advance the organisation's profile. And be proud to represent Artspace Aotearoa.
- Some degree of practical experience in media or communications would be an advantage.
If this sounds like you, please apply with a Cover Letter and CV.
Applications close Sunday 18 July, 11:59 PM (NZT).
Email your application with the subject line ‘Application - Communications Assistant ’ to: Meijing He, General Manager at Artspace Aotearoa: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download a full Job Description here and you can ask for the Strategic Plan Te Ara Tipu on request.
We expect to interview shortlisted candidates in the beginning of July and, ideally, would like the successful candidate to start in August 2021.
Artspace Aotearoa is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and we are committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. Knowing that people work best in different ways, we are happy to discuss alternative arrangements if the working pattern you are looking for is not specifically indicated. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application to assist you through the recruitment process.