Open Call: New Artists Show 2020 - Extended
New Artists Show 2020
Application Period Extended until Monday 22 June 2020 @ 5pm.
Exhibition Date: 8 August - 17 October 2020
The Artspace Aotearoa annual new artists show open-call is now accepting submissions of work from artists for the upcoming 2020 show.
This year in response to our new premises we seek six innovative artist-projects to occupy and activate five distinct exhibition sites located inside and outside the building.
The annual new artists programme is a core fundamental of the organisation's kaupapa - its role to advocate for creative innovation within the field of contemporary art in Aotearoa, and those underrepresented voices and marginal artist practices. Due to the current climate, now more than ever we as an organisation want to actively provide a solid platform for artists to exhibit and advance their practices, with support from the organisations curatorial and production team.
For submissions we seek site proposals for:
- The street facing window space.
- Half of the main gallery exhibition space.
- The basement space - our forthcoming cinema for moving image work/film/video.
- The building's East Street external wall.
- Website/digital site for an artist text or exposition (approximately 800-1500 words).
For submissions please provide :
A well-researched idea clearly outlined and communicated, along with the following support material -
- A written outline of your proposal (300-500 words) or a video recording (up to 6 minutes).
- One image and/or external link(s) of previous work which illustrates your proposed project.
- A rudimentary proposed budget of your material costs.
- A proposed public-event which aligns with your project during the exhibition.
- A simple exhibition layout plan of your proposal.
You need to be either:
- A recent graduate (a maximum of 3 years out of formal education).
- Or have acquired equivalent experience (self-directed/informal practices).
Artists will receive:
- Artist fee of $1500.
- A negotiable production budget, the agreed amount depends on the nature of the work's requirements.